Sunday, December 12, 2010

Someone's doing it for a job, why not you?

I wrote this post yesterday then decided not to post it at the last minute. I later realised this only proved the exact point I'm trying to make with this post. I was concern people would think I'm stupid and felt embarrassed so I didn't post it.

Well, I'm going to. My mission with this blog is not caring what people think.

So, I'm going to put this out there. I'd love to write the words for cards. All sorts of cards. Valentine's Day, Thank-you's, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Get Well cards, etc... I don't care if people think I'm stupid or don't think I can write well enough, or think getting that sort of work is impossible. You have to be willing to dream.

So here is my original post from yesterday...

I think I mentioned in a previous post that the first thing I ever wanted to be when I grew up was an astronomer. I remember with such clarity being told by an adult (not my parents) that there weren't many jobs in astronomy so I should consider pursuing a different career to help assure I get a job. I must point out that I was all of maybe 6 or 7 years old at this time. Nothing like encouraging kids to follow their dreams, hey? I could've been a great astronomer (wipes a tear and sniffs.)

Further to this whenever someone says something like "How in the world do you get a job as a food critic? I'd love to just eat for a living." I usually reply with "you visualize yourself being a food critic then take whatever little steps you can to head yourself, as best as you can figure, in that direction. If you want it enough you will probably find a way. Someone is doing that job right now!"

One thing I've always wanted is to be able to make some money, even if only minimal money, from my writing, as you see it in this blog. So I'm trying to think of steps I can take to gradually move in that direction. I'm not going to write a novel any time soon so one option I do wonder about is writing greeting cards. Someone is writing these things somewhere, so why not me?

So today I applied this to my writing and here's a few little ideas for cards. I'd love to know your thoughts as to whether you might buy a greeting card that has this written in it . If you can't post comments email me at myfighttowrite@gmail.com

~ Valentine's Day/Anniversary Card ~

I want you like a flower wants a bee.
I need you like a fish needs the sea.
I love you like a man on one knee.
And I'm so very glad you love me.
 (This last line would probably be inside - I must say that I am a little dubious on a card that pronounces how the person you're writing to loves you. That's a little backwards. Let's call it original instead. I like the way it sounds.)

~ General Card (Valentine's, Thanks, Friendship, etc...) ~

You are like water to the seeds in my soul (On the front with appropriate picture or illustration)

(Appropriate line inside depending on card purpose - or blank inside)

~ Missing You Card ~

I miss you like a bird would miss its feathers.(Humorous illustration of a plucked bird trying to fly to no avail)

I'll be flying back to you soon! (Inside)

OK - so I'm obsessed with analogies. Maybe I could do a line of cards that are all based on analogies. Who knows.

I could probably go on all day with different ideas. I still feel a little stupid and embarrassed but I'm trying to not care that I'm expressing a desire to be able to do something that I'm sure endless writers would like to do and probably only a lucky few great writers get to do.

Sometimes you have to be willing to share your dreams, even in the face of ridicule or laughter. Many people have done it in the past and it's often the dreamer who has the last laugh. You need to visualize your dreams and start to work out how you can make this image you dream of become reality. I've done it before and it's worked. I've gotten gigs with bands of guys that I used to watch play years earlier (and visualized playing with) before I even played the instrument that I was ultimately playing in that same band. (Did that make sense?)

I'll let you know when my cards are hitting the shelves. Any ideas on making that day come sooner feel free to share with a comment below or e-mail me at ~ myfighttowrite@gmail.com ~ Anyone who is, or knows of, a good illustrator/artist/photographer who would be interested in working with me on this and illustrated books please get in contact. We'll dream together.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!

    Recommended film : 500 days of Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it love it love it. Maybe The Stuns could release a series of musical cards? :D I especially like the Valentine's Day card. I would totally flip out if I ever received something like that. Beautiful. Life's too short to express anything less. Love your work Josh!

    ReplyDelete