Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Morning Memories

My second day into my grand plans for the week and I've realised why trying to put constraints and deadlines on your creativity can be so difficult. You can try to be creative for 55 minutes of an allotted hour and then finally get something good happening in the last 5 minutes, at which point you hardly want to walk away from your inspired moment to get on with your day. This is what got me into the habit of doing it at night. I could work until I'd done what I wanted to do and if that meant I got 4 hours sleep or less then so be it.

That's not really a healthy attitude though as more sleep than that is required to function your best. But more than anything when it comes to a music career flexibility and goal adjustment is required along your journey. So I'm not going to be so strict with myself. I've had people telling me "you've got to give yourself a break" for years. It never quite sinks in. It's time it did.

I'm going to try to give myself creative time every morning but if I can't for whatever reason (such as trying to get outdoor work done earlier in the day to avoid too much time in the raging Australian sun) then I will re-adjust my daily plan to put that creative time later in the day. It's seems very ideal to have it in the morning, but one thing that's true about a music career is that nothing is ever ideal (contrary to popular belief). You have to be flexible to keep achieving the required steps to keep you going in your desired direction.

So this morning I started this song idea but didn't get far before I had to get on with my day's plan. I got more done later and have recorded it, in my usual "practice demo" fashion, which I am again going to share despite the dismal performance and recording quality. I'll record it better sometime. I think you'll get the idea and I hope you feel the songs emotion despite the recording's downfalls.

This isn't properly finished. I expect things to be added and the form to be changed a little. But then I'd like to keep this song very simple.


Morning Memories




This double bed wasn’t made for one
But I wake each morning lonely as the sun
I pull my sheets up tight so they match the other side
And remember when that side had to be done

I sit to eat my morning eggs, toast and rum
With the silence round me beating like a drum
I pull my shoes on tight, grab my shades to hide behind
And remember that a new day has begun

But all I want is to see you lying next to me
And all I want is to feel you touch me tenderly
As it used to be

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand where you're coming from. I have never figured out the perfect time to be creative. The best I've come up with is to keep my journal with me at all times in case inspiration strikes throughout the day.

    Love this line: "I sit to eat my morning eggs, toast and rum"

    ReplyDelete