Friday, May 6, 2011

Love leaves a memory no-one can steal...

A few weeks ago a long time friend of mine had her husband die suddenly and unexpectedly. He was a REALLY wonderful guy, and she has always been such a great person and great friend, so supportive of me and my music and my music career, through all its stages back to my first regular gig and right back further to when we studied music together in high school. They were such a great couple and so in love. Plus they have a beautiful little girl. So the news broke my heart. When I sent her a card and gift (2 kits to make flowers by hand with her daughter) I wrote this poem in the card.

Before that though I will also share the quote in the card.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal." ~ from a head stone in Ireland.

That is a very touching statement, and more true than ever in this case.

Most of my friends have said that this circumstance has made them appreciate what really matters in life. I think it's a pity that we require such tragedies to appreciate what we have and focus on the great people around us that add so much to our daily lives.

Today is the ideal day to show someone you love them and make them feel special. Not just on certain days of the year or certain occasions.


For My Dear Friend

This love so great as any known
Makes such a loss hurt to the bone
The pillar of this happy home
No greater loss could there be

By no means could these words express
The pain that's felt or make it less
But to describe this man requires excess
Superlatives indeed

Still many knew him much better than I
But I knew well the size of his dear wife's smile
A happiness no money could buy
So plain for all to see

I wish with all my heart and soul
That he may have lived til he was old
That there should be no need for these word's console
But this is not how it will be

Yet as long as those that loved him breathe
He'll live on in their memories
Of countless happy times, so please
Don't be swallowed by sorrow's sea
Keep sharing that beautiful smile
That he so loved to see

No comments:

Post a Comment