Friday, December 3, 2010

Burning The Candle

Last night my body decided it was time, as happens every now and again, for it to say "sorry - I've had enough." And so I found myself irrevocably asleep at my computer at 9:30pm with a long list of things to do next to me - including this blog. I would wake and try to start working but would be asleep again before my finger hit a key. I fought this battle for nearly 4 hours (bare in mind I fought it asleep most of the time) until I woke up slumped over to my right with my neck in considerable pain and knew I had to give in and go to bed.

Lesson - you can't sleep for between 2 and 4 hours on more nights than not and expect you body not to have anything to say about it.

This poem explains further. See you tomorrow - after 8 hours sleep. I promise (fingers crossed).


Burning The Candle

The candle burns and burns again
Burning wicks at both its ends
Burning 'til it burns my bed
And burns a hole right through my head

And so I lay, nearly dead to feel
As slowly my melted, muddy mind and soul heal
Until I wake aching from foot to head
Wondering how much time I've bled

With effort I will myself up to sit
A tight tangled feeling in the pit
Of my stomach - I don't know how to get
Control of all the thoughts racing through my head

Then within that mess of racing thought
One bright, clear image start to sort
Itself from all the jumbled mess
The love by which I'm humbled and blessed

But which is so far across the sea
In a place I'm not yet permitted to be
I know then what matters most to me
And suddenly my mind is free

It's clear, it knows, it has resolve
On what problem should be first to solve
As this makes all other problems small
A new candle burns, one end is all
That's needed now my eye's on the ball

No comments:

Post a Comment