Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Magnolia

After listening back to yesterday's recording I can't help but think I may have gone a little far in the process of challenging my fears and maybe made myself look stupid. Or at least look like a terrible singer/guitarist. Oh well. That's the beauty of putting yourself out there. It's done.

Although - I recorded it again tonight and have edited yesterday's post to include the new recording, which is a bit of an improvement on the last. Those who heard the original recording I posted yesterday - that was never supposed to be heard except by me - are the the lucky few (or unlucky few depending on your perspective). I'll probably keep trying to record it again. There's mistakes in the guitar finger-picking but I'm just trying to ignore it and keep practicing. The singer isn't brilliant either but, you know, worse singers have written great songs.

So I did a little photo editing of photos of Magnolia flowers, which I love. Among other things they make me think of spring in London. My first spring in London was a revelation. Having lived my life in a country that doesn't do a lot of the shedding of leaves stuff, and also doesn't get that cold, I hadn't experienced the joy of seeing the first buds on the trees. Then seeing the flowers come out and the green burst all around and you know winter is over. It's an amazing feeling that would make me smile every time I went outside.

Here is the original photo (with just a little colour correction).

Magnolia Flower

Then I did this to it.

Magnolia Flower Color Curves Edited

I really liked this. It's not a filter. It's my usual colour/curves/contrast adjustments that I like to do. Notice it hasn't effected much of the background. I think it's created a really interesting image.

I'm going to add a short poem continuing the Magnolia theme.

My magnolia tree
It flowers for me
It gives its beauty happily

It notices my stress and concern
And gives flowers to make these things adjourn
But asks for nothing in return

So thank-you flowers
For sharing your powers
Of calming me through stressful hours

I look to you
To see what's true
My happiness bursts forth anew

You're a unique beauty matched by few

1 comment: