Monday, December 13, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

So it seems my practice yesterday paid off. Here is me playing that finger-picking pattern from yesterday at the full speed I want it at.



Still not perfect but a lot better.

So kiddies - remember that practice really does make perfect. It's not just a boring adage that your parents like to quote.

In truth, practice is what this blog is all about. It's a common fallacy that some people are just great, talented artists, and others aren't. No-one is born walking. Everything is learned. I'm not saying someone may not have a genetic propensity to do something well, but without practice they simply will not get good at it. There is no way around it.

BUT - So often people will try to write a song/paint a picture/write a story and when it doesn't come out sounding/looking like the next big thing they say to themselves (as I still do sometimes) "See, I can't do it" when in truth they just haven't practiced it enough. All good writers I know have been doing it for years. Writing songs well is just as learnt as playing an instrument well or playing a sport well. You work at it and the more you do it the more your confidence builds and you get comfortable with the process, learn new ways and try new things, and generally reduce the conscious thought process and start to make it a natural flowing thing. Like going from thinking about all the steps of driving a car or swinging a golf club, to the point that you don't think about the individual steps anymore, you just think about what you want to do and do it.


This is what I will attempt to do now. An impromptu poem.


The Early Hours

Here we are my friends
Once again
I fight the day's dark end

My eyelids made of lead
Nodding head
Why don't I simply go to bed

I can't continue now
Up and down
Lists laying all around

It's like this every night
Losing sight
This isn't feeling right

I need to get some sleep
In too deep
I should be counting sheep

But I'm not, I'm writing poems
And just wishing I was sleeping soundly
I don't know how to do it
I'm stuck in habits so unholy
I was so sure this would be the night
That I'd get to bed early
So I'm going to end this now
And I'll sleep for 5 hours only

No comments:

Post a Comment