Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My First Night On The Town

Firstly - Australia is stuck in the internet Stone Age. Every other country I’ve been to recently has had unlimited internet with most providers. So as you may know I’m house-sitting for my brother and his wife and I’ve burnt through their 5GB limit in less than 3 weeks without doing any downloading of large files. So now my internet is working at a dismally low speed, when it works at all. This is why I didn’t post my blog earlier. I had to wait until off-peak time when I get back full speed so I could upload. Off-peak time is 2am to 6am. Nice. I’ll continue.

A big focus of mine right now is simply finishing songs no matter what criticism I have of them. I used to throw away songs before they were finished because I would convince myself they were no good. I’ve learnt since that 20 finished songs that are no good is better than no songs as at all, particularly as it’s quite unlikely that all 20 will actually be no good. Probably very few will be no good in truth. It’s all about perception. I think it’s typical to feel very critical of your own writing.

So earlier today I finished this little light-hearted strummy-pop number. Quite likely the most light-hearted song I’ve ever written. I recorded it fairly late so that’s why I’m performing it softly, as a lot of sound gets through to me from the neighbours and I can only presume the reverse occurs.

I’ll include my usual disclaimers about my sub-par performance, the bad recording quality, etc… I know these recordings don’t sound great but this blog is about the process. And this is the process I go through right now.

Remember that you can always e-mail me at myfighttowrite@gmail.com if you have any issue leaving comments or just want to contact me. 



My First Night On The Town




I’ll meet you on the corner
Where we gonna go?
How about some Cha Cha
Soup and enchilada
Rebels of the soul

Guess I’m looking older
Thanks for saying so
Beauty in a green dress
Eyes that leave you helpless
Where’s the bottle opener

It’s my first night on the town
Lucky I’ve got you to show me round
I’ll walk with you to a bar or two

I wish this night would never end
Coz I don’t know if I’ll see you again
But certainly hope I do
How about you?

Another glass or two here
Stripping off the veneer
Wine is gonna flow
Showing me your Chez Jay
Conversation starts to stray
As do our hands and toes

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I know, my comments are really deep

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the raw way you present these. You, guitar, press record and BOOM! A song for us to enjoy. My 11 month old niece was dancing to it when I played it. It's a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Josh- We loved your song "Night on the Town". Judy, Nancy and Mother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judy, I appreciate you all having a listen. You guys have probably heard first hand stories about the occasion I'm writing about.

    I hope you guys had a fantastic Christmas! See you on the East Coast before too long I hope. xo

    ReplyDelete