Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reign This Horse In

Today I've been specifically working on lyrics ideas. I'm not sure why this should be any different to just writing poetry but it is for me. I'm trying to capture the serious rock vibe of The Stuns while finding more positivity, as there was a lot of negativity on the last album that doesn't always reflect my current attitudes. The Stuns album's second track "Beyond My Reach" contains feelings that have now transformed into what you read in the last stanza below. It wasn't intentional (I used the word "reach") but I realised this demonstrates the change in my attitude; no procrastinating; doing the best with the tools you have today, knowing better tools will arrive tomorrow. (Paraphrase from a Napoleon Hill quote - http://quotations.about.com/cs/inspirationquotes/a/Effort8.htm)

Here's the lyrics/poem I'm referring to. Maybe it'll go with the swung idea I posted - http://myfighttowrite.blogspot.com/2010/10/stuns-get-it-swung.html - or one of the other grooves we toyed with in the last rehearsal. We'll see after tomorrows session.


Reign This Horse In

Got to let go
Got to say no
Got to take hold
Never grow old

Lift yourself up
No more break-ups
Or silver touch-ups
Just take the stirrups

And reign this horse in
Don't let him win
You've got two hands so use them
It's yours if you'll just do something

Ghosts are lurking
Drugs aren't working
Words are hurting
You're losing grip

Hope won't save you
Love won't change you
Just look in you
To find the truth

Keep believing
Keep on screaming
At whoever's listening
Even if it's just you

Whatever is in your reach today
Is all you need, if you'll just take
The time right now and not delay
Tomorrow grows into what you make

No comments:

Post a Comment