Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Feel The Beating

Since the Viper Room gig I've been reflecting on my willingness - no, I should say inherent disposition - to connect with all my worst pains and experiences when performing on stage (I say worst in this case just due to the nature of the content of The Stuns' album - Life After The Black Box). Even when I'm not playing my own songs (but definitely even more so when I am) I always feel every phrase I sing very deeply within myself and sometimes wonder if this results in a connection with people, with them feeling the emotion I'm feeling, or actually making them uncomfortable with the intensity. I guess it depends on the person.

Here's an impromptu poem on the subject. Later in the week I'll get some song writing back onto this blog...

Feel The Beating

Dig in deep
Find your heart - the beat
Put it on your sleeve
Feel the hurt repeat

Moments gone
From which you've moved on
You now retrieve
And put into a song

Eyes like fire
Pain, love and desire
Have you on your knees
And this moment devour

Here's the end
Heart's intact and returned
All those ghosts you release
Make it harder to stand

Lights now fade
And the pain's gone away
Calm catharsis received
'Til you're next on the stage


I'm not entirely sure why I didn't write that in first person, but as if I was talking about someone else. That's just how it came out. Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Maybe cause it comes easier when it doesn't look like you're talking about yourself...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem's very good, by the way! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete