Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's raining in LA...

I've always loved listening to the sound of rain on the roof, particular when I can do so from the comfort of a bed, which I did do for a little while this morning. It's a particularly novel experience right now as it very rarely rains in LA. And when I was in London it seemed like although it rained often it was never heavy enough to give you that comforting rain-on-the-roof sound. I recorded a little this morning, just with the memo recorder on my computer. In hindsight I could've recorded it at higher quality. But it's still nice to listen to. I think the bird chirping is a nice touch...


This was the sort of mood I needed to play with some folk guitar ideas. Although the comment I make in The Stuns Interview Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5VpCVezL4 (at around 4mins 55secs) about making a folk album next was tongue in cheek at the time it is something I plan to do for myself over the coming year. I need to work on my folk guitar chops though. I didn't have an acoustic today, just an electric, but I recorded a bunch of ideas anyway. This was the one I liked the most. Notice the rain in the background...


Very rough indeed but I'll work on the idea and my playing. At this stage I had changed my tuning a little by tuning down the G String to F# as per the Bon Iver track "re: stacks" which I recently worked out. His music is a big part of my inspiration for wanting to record a folk album. Check him out if you haven't already. It's amazing.

If any of the mp3 players above don't work for you install Google Chrome and open then with that.

The rain's stopped now. There's no sound but the faint roar of jet engines in the distance. I might leave my rain on the roof recording playing on repeat...

1 comment:

  1. If you like the sound of rain in LA, you'll love this song by Loudon Wainwright III called Grey in LA:

    Loudon Wainwright III
    Grey In L.A.

    When it's grey in L.A. I sure like it that way
    Cause there's way too much sunshine round here
    I don't know about you I get so sick of blue skies
    Where ever they always appear

    And I sure love the sound of the rain pouring down
    On my carport roof made out of tin
    If there's a flood then there's gonna be mudslides
    We all have to pay for our sin

    And I suppose that they'll close canyon roads
    And the freeways will all start to clog
    And the waters will rise and you won't be surprised
    When your whole house smells like a wet dog

    When it's grey in L.A. it's much better that way
    It reminds you that this town's so cruel
    Yeah it might feel like fun when you're sportin' sunglasses
    But really you're just one more fool

    And I'm just a chump
    And this whole town's a dump
    We came out here to dump all our dreams
    Of making it big but we're stuck in a sig alert nightmare
    That's just how it seems

    And I suppose Laurie David sure knows
    All those cars we drive heat up our earth
    And sea temperatures rise and those constant blue skies
    And brush fires can sure curb your mirth

    Brad Grey's in L.A. yeah OK I should stay here
    There's no place that's better i know
    For a wannabe star stuck in a car
    On a freeway with nowhere to go

    When it's grey in L.A. I sure like it that way
    Cause there's way too much sunshine round here
    I don't know about you I get so sick of blue skies
    Where ever they always appear

    ReplyDelete