Friday, October 15, 2010

Please Don't Go

I want to keep challenging myself to do different things with this blog as that's part of the creative process I believe. So today I'm going to turn the images and feelings I get from the song "Please Don't Go", by a Seattle band called Barcelona, into a poem of my own.

I've been feeling a very deep emotional feeling today and the song previously mentioned, playing in the below YouTube video, captures that mood for me. This video is how I was introduced to the song and it really touched me from that first listen. So much so I googled lyrics and found out the title so I could buy their album.

So watch the video if you have time...



Then read my poem, maybe while listening to the song again. I've tried to be completely spontaneous and not "think" about what I was writing too much. I'm not trying to re-tell their story, but rather tell the story that the emotion and images they created now create in me, in this moment.



Please Don't Go 

Two girls running, smelling wildflowers
Giggling with abandon while hiding behind towers
Topped with mottled red, brown and orange
In fields of lush green where nothing is strange
Or foreign, or scary, or in any way lonely or sad

Her eyes so brilliant green but hugged by red web
Open to her dim lamp and the dull ache in her head
Knocks repeatedly, the only visitor she gets
"So alone" is the only thought or feeling she can express
The girls, the flowers, slip through the fingers of her shaking hands

The usual memories resume of the love she once knew
But that's gone, along with every year that she grew
And changed and did all that she could to hold on
To this story that she always hoped would become a song
Sung by those happy birds of the forest and green lands

That she reaches again for the sweet memory of, to return
To that moment that deep inside she so yearns
For and wishes for an end to this feeling inside
That tight pain, as her heart's crushed - the heart of bride
Not to be, now or ever, and not a soul understands

So many times she'd begged him to stay
To fight with her, try with her, look for a way
That this precious love could be saved from it's death
But which now she must feel, so real, with every breath
That slowly slips from her trembling wet lips into her hands

Hope is gone, absorbed into tissues and thrown away
No more need for empty prayers to a God far away
Like everyone else, nowhere near her black planet prison
She searches alone in the merciless wind for the broken
Pieces of her former-self that had skipped happily on beach sand

As she stares at the shadows on her room's roof
The darkness she feels starts to overwhelm any belief
She once had that life is always worth living
'Til not a thought is left, not one flame, that disagrees with her feeling
It is time for the only solution - and it lays in the palm of her hand

2 comments:

  1. That was a magical meditative experience for me. You're rocking at this blog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Blog Mama. I'm just glad to being doing it. Every day when I wonder "what will I write in my blog today" I just end up doing something, creating something new, and it always makes me feel good to achieve that, knowing that without the blog I may not have pushed myself that little bit extra. :D

    ReplyDelete