Saturday, October 30, 2010

Maybe I should start writing greeting cards...

Seeing I'm in London I decided to go on one of my favourite Saturday outings - the Portobello Road Antique Markets. Here is a photo of one part of this world-renowned road, so entwined with images of china mugs, antique (and not so antique) jewelery, exotic ornaments of disputable value and Hugh Grant colliding into Julia Roberts.

Portobello Road Antique Markets on a Saturday afternoon - 1

Photobucket


Portobello Road Antique Markets on a Saturday afternoon - 2

Photobucket


My favourite group of antique jewelery stalls

Photobucket


Above is my favourite group of antique jewelry stalls. I rarely fail to buy something from there. There are always things available from £5 to £500. The man in the little stall outside on the left is extremely nice and I've bought from him before. If you're there do the same. His prices seem ridiculously cheap to me.

I did buy a number of things today and on my exit from the market this poem just started to come to me without any thought. Before I knew it I was looking at it's completed version. I think if I was to ever apply for a job at Hallmark this would be my application piece. A new career move? What do you think?


All these things that shimmer and shine
Remind me that you're always mine
All these links of precious gold
Remind me that you're mine to hold

All these pearls of glistening white
Mirror your smile's beauty bright
All these stones - red, green and blue
Such special things that make up you

Many nights they've seen in many years
Our pasts - with value weighed in tears
Like monuments they always stay
And our love stands in the same way

Their beauty from the very start
Stands now, reflected in my heart
May these gifts bright reminders be
I'm yours for all eternity

1 comment: