Friday, October 29, 2010

Mistaken Stranger

One of my current goals for my lyric writing is to write more about things other than my own personal experiences. More observation and comment. Trying to put myself in the shoes of others. Have something to say about the world. All the writers I respect do this well. Looking at the content of The Stuns' first album I can't help but feel a little narcissistic. In my defense though, I've had a lot of emotional experiences in my life that I've needed to write about. Now that a lot of that's dealt with I'm looking outward more.

So here is something written about someone else.

I will just add here before I continue that I've had a number of people tell me that they want to leave comments but can't for whatever reason, in some cases because they don't have a gmail account. So I've created an e-mail account which people can send me mail to if they so desire. I've made it obvious...

myfighttowrite@gmail.com

Please feel free to send me mail. Any comments or questions at all are more than welcome.

So back to the lyrics...


Mistaken Stranger

The midday sun
Setting before the day's begun
She looks up
From the dirt she's searching through

Pink nails are red
Black eyes sunk into into her head
Skin like ashes
Painted over long lost youth

10 years flicker past
Red rimmed eyelids, quite contrasting times
To when our minds longed for the truth

When did this reflex take over
I'm mine no longer
When did disrespect get bolder
I'm mine no longer
When did this direction wander
I'm mine no longer
When did this reflection turn into
This mistaken stranger

She's got no-one
All that matters to her is in her blood
That blood she shares
With life innocent and unaware of

This itch inside
That one scratch or ten cannot subside
Will see her
All alone before her time

When did this reflex take over
I'm mine no longer
When did disrespect get bolder
I'm mine no longer
When did this direction wander
I'm mine no longer
When did this reflection turn into
This mistaken stranger


I have more to write for that (and probably a lot to edit out) but that's what I have right now. See you tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. I have heard the same thing from my blog readers. It's annoying because I love their comments. I don't know exactly how to help them out either. Technology. Friend and foe.

    Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete