Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Getting Creative On The Kit

3 years or so ago I was lucky enough to have created a situation where I had a room in my house just for my instruments and recording gear, which included a drum kit that was always set up and ready to play. I did use it but nowhere near as much as I should have and always look back at how damn lucky I was at that time, having a great room to work in, and how much I wasted that opportunity. I will not take the situation for granted a second time if the opportunity comes along.

One thing I very, very occasionally did was record myself playing around with different grooves.

Last night my brother Luke and I were recording the drummer from his band, Bruce, for a demo for Luke's band. At the end of the session I took 20 minutes or so to relive this experience that I so much took for granted and just loved it. I may not be a good drummer but I really enjoyed just having some fun on the kit. This 5 minutes of audio is a very quick edit of the different ideas I played through. Maybe some of them will inspire songs. Who knows...

2 comments:

  1. Groovy use of different medias for your blog. Blog Mama is so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - thanks Janice. Just trying to keep it interesting, otherwise it could soon become "gees, another rambling poem from Josh...Pass". You are my Blog Mama. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete