Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Darkness Is Defeated

One habit I can’t seem to shake, even when I’m dog-tired, is the desire to watch movies when flying. It's one of the few times I actually get the time to watch movies. I slept for a couple of hours on my flight to Chicago from LA (following 3 hours sleep Wednesday night) because there was no movie showing (and because neither pen and paper, or a book, could engage me enough to keep my eyes open). When I got on my 777 to London I finished writing out my blog for Thursday and then managed to stay awake through one and a half movies before deciding to take advantage of having an empty seat next to me.

As I pulled my pillow and blanket from their plastic wrapping this is the view I noticed out my window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I always find sunrise to be an ethereal and moving event. The end of the darkness. The beginning of a new day. When I’m on a plane, which usually means I’m alone and heading somewhere new, the depth of the moment is even more so.

I felt inspired to to try and capture the moment in verse.


The Darkness Is Defeated

With the faintest glow of brilliant blue
The blackened sky is torn in two
And gradually this black we knew
Is disappearing

The darkness is defeated while
I watch from my seat in the sky
Hopes are born as rising fires
Grow never-ending

This moment captured in mind and lens
Emancipation as this battle ends
The freedom to begin again
Is over-taking

The sullen black, the dark, the dirt
The loss, the negative self-hurt
From voices in the blackness heard
Are withdrawing

Mirrored in this growing glow
My passion wells up from below
And through my veins new fires flow
No more debating
No more deflating
Just more creating

No comments:

Post a Comment