Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New song, new finger-picking challenge...

When I wrote my song Sunrise To Sunset recently I had to spend a lot of time practicing the finger-picking pattern I wanted to play. I had to start slow and repeat it for ages, then I got it a lot better by the next day at which point I could actually record the song. Until I get a significantly more confident with my finger picking this trend is likely to continue. So although I've basically finished another song I'm not yet able to get through all the picking to a decent standard and do all the singing at the same time. I managed to get the take I've posted below done, with much angst and repetition, but it was a huge challenge and still needs a lot of work.

I'll try to get the song recorded in its entirety by the end of the week. I'll need to, or write something else I can play, as my New Year's Resolution was to post at least one song a week on the blog, not just write the song - although in truth the latter would suffice. But I've made this stipulation as it forces me to make sure the songs are up to at least a very basic performance standard, and without performance the song might as well not exist really. That's what creativity is all about. Sharing it with others.

So have a listen to my latest finger-picking creation in the E-A-D-F#-B-E tuning I'm quite fond of since using it to play the Bon Iver track "re: Stacks". Although, I've since discovered from watching a live bootleg video that he looks to be using another tuning, an open tuning, but anyway. I'm also using a capo on the 7th fret, just to give away all my secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment