Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Flood

A cyclone is meant to be hitting Perth tomorrow and this reminded me of all the crazy whether in Queensland. All the flooding has been devastating and my thoughts go out to all those people.

I'm also writing about my own experience though. Out of the most awful circumstances I've found that with the right perspective everything works out even better than hoped and your bad experiences make you stronger. There is always something to be thankful for and something positive to be focused on. You just need to look to what REALLY matters. Your family and friends, your health, your happiness.

Many have lost family members though and we should all take a moment to think of these poor people who've lost more than everything. May they find happiness after all this tragedy.

I would also like to add that this poem is still largely autobiographical and should not be taken as how I think any of the flood victims should feel or learn from what's happened. This is just a poem of one "imaginary" person's experience that I hope people get something from.


The Flood

I remember the flood
In just one treacherous day
All I owned was washed away

Face down in the mud
As down on my knees I fell
The city I'd called home was now my hell

I still recall the shock
As if none of it was real
I was completely numb except for this feeling

Like my belly was full of rocks
Then my son and daughter hugged me, oh so sad
And I felt an immense thanks for all that I still had

Everything had changed I knew
I may have lost all my possessions plus my cat
But so many had lost so much more than that

I was one of the lucky few
And despite all that I've lost
For me what I have learned was worth the cost

For now all is clear
I have my perspective and my priorities right
I know what it truly means to fight

All I need is here
My family, my integrity, my health
Happiness lies not in my possessions or my wealth

No comments:

Post a Comment