Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Dear Father

I haven't posted for a few days as I've done writing but have been back to my internet usage issues, which has made it difficult when coupled with how busy I've been.

Hopefully today's poem is worth the wait. It's written for my Dad. I don't think a lot needs to be said that the poem doesn't say. But I would just like to say to my Dad, I've really enjoyed our time together over the past couple of months. For so many different reasons you have made this time SO much more enjoyable and productive than it wouldn't have been if not for you. Thank-you! I love you.

If my Mum is reading, I will write something specifically for you, that addresses what I love about you and why you are such a great Mum, sometime before long, when I feel it's the most poignant opportunity.

I hope many people can apply this to their own relationship with their father. I know that there are many who wouldn't be able to though and it is for this reason that I know I am extremely lucky.

Press play on the media player to hear me reciting the poem. I like to do this with personal poems as it has more meaning I feel.


My Dear Father



Every day I’ve been me there’s been you
Ever since my first breath there’s been nothing you wouldn’t do
For me – any time, any day, any way you could see
That might help me be smiling and happy

Nothing more true could ever be said
Nothing but love and unselfishness flow through your head
And your heart when you think of me every day
You show your love for me in so many ways

I know it would be quite futile to list
All the things that you’ve done for many would be missed
But I will say this one thing to which you can stake claim
That without you my life would not be the same

For because of you I have had choices
I have not had my hands tied by life’s powerful forces
I have always had freedom to pursue my life’s dreams
And had support when life ripped at the seams

And you’ve allowed my dreams and choices to be
What I wanted and not what you could see was best for me
And still you continue to do this so I can grow
From the mistakes that I make along my road

I must say that I’m proud to call you a friend
And I want you to know I will be there for you ‘til the end
All the while knowing there is most certainly no way
Your gifts and sacrifices could ever be repaid

But may what I write here in rhyme
Be something to remind you each and every time
You do something for me that I appreciate it so
For it means so much to me that you know

I love you so much and as with you
Have done so since right back from when I was in the womb
And I know this because I do not remember a day
I haven’t loved you, my dear father, in every way

2 comments:

  1. I love this line:
    "And you’ve allowed my dreams and choices to be
    What I wanted and not what you could see was best for me"

    It's truly love that he shows by allowing you your dreams. Sounds like a good dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh. Only you could express what should be said aboutour Dad so poignantly!

    ReplyDelete