Saturday, January 1, 2011

Penny & Jacob

It's a New Year and I'm very excited to say that the internet usage here has refreshed and I have my internet back. Sweet relief.

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions to be totally honest as I think resolutions are simply something you should make for yourself every day, always looking to better yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone. But I will say that I have one resolution for this year and that is to never let a week pass without posting a new song on this blog. I did have a long spell of not having instruments handy up until recently but that shouldn't be an issue from now on, so I believe this resolution is very achievable.

So I'm going to refer to a week as being from Monday to Sunday and this song I'm posting today is for the week past.

I will state one more resolution, and I think we should all make this same one. To live by these wise words from Ralph Waldo Emerson, "An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory." I've already been trying to do this but I want to be even more pro-active with this through the coming year. Sometimes you simply have to stop talking and start doing. It is so easy to make excuses for why we didn't do something today and being aware that you are making excuses is the first step to ending them and just getting on with some action. Any action, no matter how minimal.

So here is my song. I will mention the usual disclaimers regarding recording quality and sub-par performance. As usual this was recorded late at night and I needed to be quiet. I'll do a better recording soon.


Penny & Jacob



Penny sits staring at the sky
Through windows as beads of rain drip down them outside
It feels like these dreary winter rains won’t subside
Laying on the sofa, lonely mornings roll by

As do the tears
That flow down from her eyes
Lost in goodbyes
Recounting the years
Now thrown onto the fire
With her hopes and desires

Jacob sits and listens to a tape
That she made for him when he had to go away
That was when she would say “I love you” every day
And he would stroke long blonde hairs from her face

But now the tears
Are all that’s left in their place
They dry on his face
Recounting the years
He grew in her embrace
He can never replace

Talking to his brother and a friend
Everyone’s laughing and eating oysters there
Then Penny walks in glowing smile and hair
And when Jacob sees her he can’t help but stare

And all his fears
Melt away as she sits on the chair
Next to him there
And in the years
Ahead he’d say that was where
He found love so fair

For as the weeks
Rolled by all that he dared
To hope for was there
And he could hear
His heart whisper a prayer
That she’d always be there

As they drew nearer
Each day this love that they share
Grew beyond compare
And all the tears
They cry are joyful and their
Sad days, hurts, doubts and cares
Exhaled like the air
They breathe as they wear
Each other like hair
They touch everywhere
True love now is theirs

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The words of this song really touched me without having to hear a chord.

    Thank you so much for sharing this.

    H :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Hannah. I'm so glad it struck a chord with you, no pun intended. It came from a very honest place in my heart so it's great that you felt that. Thanks for reading. =D

    ReplyDelete