Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How much do you want it...part 2

Yesterday I started a post about committing to changes in your life. If you haven't read it then read it first before continuing here.

Now where was I...

Secondly, I didn't have my priorities straight. I'd been slowly getting there. I haven't owned a TV for 3 years. I long ago gave up playing any computer games. I minimised anything that didn't directly relate to my music career. But I still wasn't getting writing done as something would always be there to distract me - most often e-mailing or worrying about money. I had to accept that the satisfaction I got form being prompt with e-mail replying did not outweigh the unhappiness that resulted from not getting writing done. I realise money can't be ignored and must be some what of a priority but you must know where to draw the line as money in itself doesn't make you happy. Having had lots of money and no money this is my experience.

Keeping my priorities straight is still something I have to mentally commit to every day. I'm easily distracted and I have to keep my eye on the ball, knowing that the only way I will be the happiest person I can be is by getting writing done. So that simply MUST be my priority.

This leads to "thirdly". I was trying pretty hard and expending a lot of energy and frustration but, bottom line, I just wasn't committed enough. I wasn't seeing the consequences of me not being committed. I had to see that if I didn't commit fully I would never be an artist. But more importantly, I would never be truly happy within myself. I had to completely commit to my own happiness. This sounds pretty easy, but funnily enough it isn't. It takes a lot of determination, but also some selfishness, which doesn't come naturally for me.

Most importantly though "committing" is about not letting yourself make excuses. You have to make yourself accountable and be aware of the excuses you make. Can you really not find time? Or are you just not getting your priorities right? Are you absolutely committed to being happy and achieving what you want for your life?

I've been wanting to do more cardio exercise like jogging and also do yoga every morning. I kept saying there was no time. Until I finally decided I simply had to make it happen for my own health and happiness. I made the time by adjusting my priorities and time management. I absolutely committed to doing it. And now I do it every day. I stopped letting myself make excuses and just made it happen. 

You've got to break the cycle of excuses and quite simply commit fully. MAKE. IT. HAPPEN. Do not let it be any other way.

As you can see I've decided that I'm going to punctuate things with words in capitals separated by full stops today. Is that working for you?

Lastly, not being fully committed had a lot to do with motivation. A lot of de-motivation came from feeling daunted due to looking at the size of the whole problem. There is a saying “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” This may seem to contradict what I'm saying but the point is that if you worry about today's pebbles - the little things you can do, the little steps, the little problems - instead of just staring at the impossibly big mountain you will one day find you have climbed that mountain.

Anyway, I've gone on quite long enough as always. If you want to make a change in your life then commit to it fully. No more excuses. No more negativity. No more backwards priorities.

It can be hard to accept but you DO have control of your life. Take the reigns. Make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment