Thursday, November 4, 2010

We Ride The Train

As I've mentioned before I've done a lot of traveling. I've been trying to think back today on some of my experiences and attempt to paint a brief picture, a scene, with my writing. I've been listening to songs by artists like Sufjan Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel and Fleet Foxes and really appreciating how they tell a simple but moving story or just paint an interesting scene.

This poem is a reflection on one of the many train trips I've done. Sometimes alone, sometimes not. Sometimes striking up conversation with a complete stranger, other times sharing a conversation of looks alone. I hope this paints a picture for you.


We Ride The Train


Black rain falling heavy
Onto ancient stones
And bright green leaves
And broken homes

Short breaks of brilliant blue
Glimpse of bright and light
Amidst thunderous screams
Please hold me tight

Old man alone
Old woman same
Young girl with hopes
We ride the train

Loud voices fade
Just eyes alone
With smiles and jokes
We travel home

2 comments:

  1. "And broken homes." So true. The train always seems to back onto the slummy bits of town. And the other meaning of broken homes... everybody is thinking of their own version of their broken homes on the quiet train ride home. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I was trying to use minimal words with maximum space for interpretation in this. Like the old man and woman alone - they were sitting next to each other, likely married, but clearly disconnected from each other in many ways. And being "amidst thunderous screams" - it has a lot of different connotations in that scene, even for me. Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete