Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Flash back

While going through some of my things recently I found some of my earliest poems from a pad I used to write in between about 1992 and about 2000. Seeing all my traveling this week will make posting difficult I'm going to write a few posts in advance featuring some of this old writing just to show you what I used to write. I'll still be writing but I may not get time to do more than post a pre-written draft so it's a good chance to do this I think.

This will demonstrate one very interesting point about my writing. Up until recently my writing has always been very dark. I had always gotten a ribbing from The Stuns boys about how I never write light hearted or positive lyrics. But that's changed dramatically recently. It's turned so much that I've actually been struggling to write anything dark! This has been quite a shock to me. It's nice to write the way I do now.

Here is a quick excerpt from something I wrote in 1996 while staying in my friend Brett's caravan in Seabird, Western Australia, if I remember rightly.

Eventually all, even the toughest stone
Shall before loves tyrannous throne
'Til all that has been said and done
Passes as the setting sun

So pretty dark stuff as you can see. I might give you all of that later in the week but right now I want to give you another one from a little later. Mid-1998 if I remember rightly. It certainly epitomizes the dark tone of my writing nearly constantly in the time previous to starting this blog. Although I did find one really positive poem, which showed that the attitude I have now is something I've thought was best and have working on a lot in recent years. I think what's so interesting is I wouldn't say in hindsight that I really knew deep hurt and pain then as I did in times following but obviously at that time I felt I had. I guess I had a flair for the dramatic also.


Thoughts Of Solomon

Hello darkness of loneliness
I know not what lies within and less beyond you
I used to see you less, I used to sleep through
Now I know your confusedness

I can feel my friends
They are around me, they comfort me, or at least they used to
But they don't create light, they just help me get through
I see not the bends

Remove the blanket black
As can only be done by of whom there is not two
You must be there, I must meet you, I must be with you
But my heart continues to crack

Many a prophet false
There have been, I have followed, I've seen what they do
As many as the sand grains they have ground my heart into
When comes the marriage waltz

My heart of sand it lies
Yet never it lies about love, but again stirs up its wasted brew
To soon be spat out by she who's love is not true
Light, I must say my goodbyes

As the many bees, birds and bugs fly around
My loneliness black enhances their sound

No comments:

Post a Comment