Thursday, November 25, 2010

Life Is Now

As I mentioned yesterday I found a pile of my old writing so I'm giving you a little trip into my writing history.

I may have written mostly dark, brooding material in the time before this August just gone, but this poem shows how long the ideas that I now believe in so strongly were already seeds growing in my mind back when I was younger. This one is about life being today. It was written around 1996 I believe so it only took me 14 years to finally put these words into action!

Reading this also makes me remember how much of a serious-minded, philosophical 18-year-old I was. To honest, I've been much like this since about 12! I "grew up" a bit early. Even when I was 6 or 7 and someone asked me what I wanted to be I wouldn't say "fireman" or "policeman" or something else common. I wanted to be an astronomer. Serious adults felt the need to tell me that there wasn't many jobs in astronomy so I should reconsider. They said the same thing when I readjusted my ambitions towards archeology at age 8. Hmmmm, I wonder why I ended up so serious. Note to all adults - let kids have dreams! There's no need to inflict reality about job availability on a 7-year-old who wants to be an astronomer!

But I digress. Back to the poetry.



Life Is Now


Life is now
Don't ask me how
No need to bow
Just be

Don't stray either way
Or you'll make yourself pay
For staring at yesterday
Be free

If there's no way you can change it
Worrying is more than a little strange
Lit up by firey faces
From long forgotten places

Now is always a memory
So it pays to plan ahead
Bad fades, good remains
Using a positive head

They all taught me "why"
But one taught me "how"
The next taught me "where" & "when"
But "who" is the question now

It's harder to see
When your eyes aren't the key
We all want to be free
But how

Only know your way
And though it may help to pray
The answer today
Is now!

No comments:

Post a Comment