Sunday, November 21, 2010

Similes, Analogies and Apologies

I'll start with the apologies. I haven't posted for a couple of days quite simply because I couldn't get any time on a computer to do so. I'm sorry (I say this to myself as much as anyone else) and hope to make up for it in the coming days.

I've always been known to use a lot of similes and analogies. I guess I'm just a fan of them. They can illustrate something in a way that makes more sense and provides more clarity and insight. I have a favourite analogy, which involves telling a little story. Here it is.

A group of people are diving on the great barrier reef. First they dive in the calm inner waters, protected by the outlying reef. Then they go out and dive on the outer edge of the reef. When they're finished a person asks the diving guide, "Why is the coral out here so much more colourful and vibrant than the coral in the calm areas?" The guide explains, "The coral in the calm waters is protected from the rough seas, there's less sea life eating at it and in general it doesn't have to fight to survive. The outer coral has waves crashing on it, all sorts of animals nibbling at it and does have to fight to survive. All these challenges result in the coral being more colourful and full of life."

This is an analogy of life I think. All the challenges and struggles you face are what make you the interesting, colourful person you are. I find this helps me accept my experiences as having a positive overall effect, all being crucial on my path to being who I am. Life is tough and no-one wants to face any more struggles than required, but avoiding anything that might challenge or hurt you is like living in the calm waters I think. I would rather live with the risks and the challenges and the struggles and be the most interesting, colourful person I can be.

I'll move on to the actual creative part of my blog, a bit of free verse I wrote yesterday, containing more similes and analogies. This is pretty out of the ordinary way for me to write, but it was what came to me.

A big phase of my life is officially ended. My time based in London and everything that went with that (with the exception of The Stuns - we'll be pushing forward despite our geographical separation).


Have you ever had a moment
When reality drops
A phase of life is completely over
A new path forming under your feet
As you walk
As you watch
As all your ends tie up
There comes that single moment
After you've said goodbye
To someone or something
And are walking away
Your back is to your past
Your future plans within your grasp

Pure joy and sentimental sadness mix
Like eating a really good curry
With your favourite ice cream on top
It's pretty weird
You know you're a bit crazy
But you're doing it
And you're surprised to find
That you're actually enjoying it
In some strange way
That simile is untested
But I think it's the best comparison I can make
And I feel pretty sure that if you try it
You'll understand what I'm trying to say

This feeling is largely due
To being in uncharted territory
You're moving away from a known shore
In pursuit of a new land
With some idea where you're going
But you can't be sure you'll get there
But you're trying anyway
Knowing the adventure will be worth it

This is where I'm at now
And although I'm having some trouble with the how
I'm excited and happy to face the challenge
Because I know that's what it's all about
Sailing to somewhere you've never been
Trying not to sink on the way
Making repairs and adjusting your direction
After a big storm has passed
Keeping yourself moving in the direction
You think will get you where you want to go
Even when you are feeling discouraged
Enjoying a day of slow sailing
Through clear waters
The sun on your face
The wind in your hair
With more open water ahead
And soon enough more storms and rough seas approaching
Then that day comes
You see land on the horizon

1 comment: