Monday, November 22, 2010

Steven The Beaver

For a little while now I've wanted to write a poem directed at children with a good life lesson involved. Last night I had a moment where I had to be reminded of my own ethos on being action focused and not stressing just thinking about the logistics of life's challenges. So I wrote this poem today. I hope you enjoy it.



Steven The Beaver

The river wore a layer of orange and red
As leaves fell and grey geese flew south overhead
Steven the beaver paddled by his Dad's side
He asked "Where are we going?" and his father replied
"To find a good spot for a dam to be built
Using timber and twigs and grasses and silt
So we can transform this shallow river you see
Into a safe place for our big family."

Steven got thinking about this task at hand
And quickly felt bewildered by this mission so grand
For as this river swirled, swished and bubbled on by
Much timber and twigs washed along for the ride
So he said "That sounds really hard - it'll take until spring
And I have no idea where to even begin
I can't hold much mud in my little hands
Or move all the wood that this big job demands
The river will wash things away just as fast
As I can find something to replace the last."

By now Steven's father had stopped near the shore
And listened to the obstacles that young Steven saw
The when Steven had finished his worrisome rant
His Dad said "Son, you should never say 'can't'.
For although building dams is difficult for sure
You just take one little step and then take one more
And gradually those little steps add up to a lot
Until one day you've done what you once thought you could not

So with these thoughts in mind a location was found
And soon they were gathering wood from all around
And packing the mud one small handful each time
Until the great river couldn't break through their line
And as the waters rose Steven said with a grin
"We've done it! All we had to do was begin
Then with each little step we completed the task
Regardless of how hard it seemed at the start."

So Steven learnt that when big tasks come around
There's no point in getting all caught up in your frowns
As just taking small steps - any action will do
You'll always feel happy when each day is through

2 comments:

  1. I like your poem about a kid and dad
    I found it to be very rad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that makes me glad
    I had thought it wasn't too bad

    ;)

    ReplyDelete