Friday, February 25, 2011

The world is getting smaller...

As I write this a fairly new but already cherished friend of my, Janice MacLeod, is leaving LA for an indefinite period. Early on in our friendship I adopted the nickname for her of "Blog Mama" (she coined the term) as she provided the inspiration and encouragement that led me to finally bite the bullet and get this blog started after shrugging off the idea for quite a while. For this I shall be eternally grateful and indebted to her.

Janice and Josh
    Janice and I after matzo ball soup and splitting a grilled
    cheese/tomato at Izzy's Diner in Santa Monica last week

She has a great blog - After The Artists Way - which you should follow as she's very interesting and entertaining and is heading off on an exciting world trip, pursuing inspiration and clarity for writing (plus a whole lot of fun I'm sure).

Today I got to meet her very lovely co-author, Marni Kamins. They have two books published - The Breakup Repair Kit and The Dating Repair Kit - both available for purchase online here. Or even better, go find them in any good bookstore and, following purchasing your copies, do a "prominent display" to show your support. (Click "prominent display" to find out how this is done.)

It's been fantastic to connect with an artist and a person who is so like-minded and so talented. I will miss her very much. But I wish her all the very best in this new chapter of her life. I'm just thankful the world is getting smaller and smaller by the day. I don't know how people such as my grandparents went through 3 years of separation, just after they met, with only "snail" mail (sent by sea at that) to stay in contact. What frustration! I'm very glad to live in this technologically advanced era.

Sam and I gave her a card and in it I wrote this impromptu poem - my first attempt at Hallmark-style comedy, although I would remove the profanity for an actual Hallmark card I imagine. The "..." is where you would open the card. I expect as an actual card it would entail some crazy-looking cartoon fellow acting out the lines of the poem, in the typical cliché card fashion. Looking very romantic and serious on the front...then humorous on the inside. I'll leave that to your imaginations.


As you step into a new unknown
Along the path your heart has shown
You may face times when you feel alone
But when you do just think...

...Thank f#@k for internet and phone!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Why? Well, it's all about me. As if blogs aren't already Me Me Me. Now your blog is all Me Me Me, too. I really gotta get over myself.

    Arrived safely in Toronto. It's snowing. Blanket of silence all around. Peace in physical form.

    ReplyDelete