Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Home

By the time I finish my next trip back to Australia in late June it will be nearly 14 months since I've spent more than 3 months living in one country. Furthermore I've not spent more than 6 weeks straight living in the same house in these cities. I've basically been a vagabond living out of a suitcase.

This has left me a little unsure of where home is. I've listened to the Micheal Buble song "Home" a lot over this time and the song always touches me, but where I imagine home to be has changed a number of times. Certainly Perth has previously been the "home" I've thought of but that has been changing over the past 9 months or more.

I've realised that home is no longer a geographic destination for me. It's just the place where I feel settled and at peace inside and, even more simply, the place I don't want to leave. This place I now know is simply wherever Sam is. For now that is LA. I know the location will change in the future, but the closest company I keep every day I'm "home" will not.

 I've written a poem about this. Obviously "we" and "us" is Sam and I.


Home


Home will always be a place
Where peace and joy and love embrace
But right now for me home's not defined
By set geography or time
It's simply where we both are now
And whenever this life will allow
Us to be at each others side
Home is where I'll be tonight

1 comment:

  1. The nomadic lifestyle is a great thing. It makes shopping totally uninteresting. Everything becomes judged by weight limits.

    ReplyDelete