Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Macro Madness

When I was in Kauai I took some macro shots of moss while hiking and since then I've gone a little macro mad. Here are those macro moss shots that got me onto this craze.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


This Sunday I went to Huntington Library with Sam and our good friends Megan and Zach.

Photobucket
From left - Zach, Megan and Sam on a Japanese Bridge. Gotta love Zach's orange bag!

For those who don't know the Huntington Library is not your run-of-the-mill library. It contains some of the most rare historic books such as the Guttenburg Bible, first edition Shakespeare plays, a copy of the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution (which abolished slavery) and all the parliamentarian signatures that approved it, plus endless early scientific works by the likes of Aristotle, Galileo, Newton, Darwin and Edison, and much more. It also houses around 400 early light globe designs by Edison and others. If this isn't interesting enough for you it has an art gallery containing such classic works as "The Blue Boy" by Thomas Gainsborough. We didn't look at much of that stuff though as by the time we'd explored the expansive botanical gardens it was closing. They have an incredible Bonsai collection. Here are a few I particularly like.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But this was supposed to be all about my macro madness. So here are my favourite macro shots from some of the Huntington Library's many botanical gardens. There's an amazing desert garden, an Australian garden, rose garden, Japanese pond area and much more. It's well worth a visit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Your photos came out great! I am laughing out loud about Zach's orange bag... what a gentleman to carry it for me all day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megs. And I'm sure Zach appreciates you clarifying that the orange bag was in fact yours. Ha ha! Personally I love orange, but it may still be a little too floral patterned. Zach is most certainly a gentleman. I love you guys! xo

    ReplyDelete