Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lucky Man

I've been a little absent with my blogging over the past week as I've been very focused on the mixing and recording for my brother's band's Demo EP. I've still been writing and finding different ways to be creative, some of which I'll share in another blog soon, but today I just want to share this song.

Me and my younger brother Luke at
My younger brother, Luke, and I following my gig at The Viper Room on 10/10/10
with my former band, The Stuns. Yes, I'm wearing makeup. (Well....the remnants of...)

My brother and I wrote it with his band in fairly impromptu fashion, at a rehearsal in September when I was last in LA. It was quite an organic creation. Luke had lyrics he'd been planning to write some positive sounding music for. I then just started playing the intro guitar idea from this song, basically as the first fun and happy idea that came to my head, and he started making a melody around his lyrics. Before the night was out we had the song basically finished. I really like the song and in some ways it was the start of my move back towards this style of writing. I feel it has a certain musical stamp that puts it stylistically in with my recent songwriting. We wrote some other songs, one in particular I hope to have finished recording, mixing and mastering and have posted on this blog soon. Stay tuned...

I recorded the acoustic guitar, ukulele (my Dad's new ukulele - thanks again Dad), bass guitar and backing vocals on this track. Luke recorded the lead vocals, some backing vocals, lead guitar and a couple of rhythm guitar parts. His drummer Bruce recorded the drums. Even though this hasn't involved creativity in a songwriting fashion in the past week I find myself being quite creative in the mixing/mastering process, mostly because I don't really know what I'm doing, i.e. I've learnt all I know about mixing from observing engineers while in the studio, but no-one's ever actually "taught" me what to do. I go with my instincts and use my creativity and problem solving to work my way to a result I'm satisfied with. This mix was the fourth I did, each one getting progressively better than the last. I'm actually very happy with the result considering the conditions under which the recording was done.

As I didn't write the lyrics I'm not going to post them here. I don't feel they're mine to be posting on my creativity blog. But the words are great so do listen to them carefully.


Lucky Man


1 comment:

  1. What a happy song and the sound was so good. You and Luke have really achieved something very special. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the songs. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete