Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Night On The Town Turns Latin

A year ago today I went on a date - a very important date. And I wasn't even late. (Terrible Alice In Wonderland quote, I know)

Needless to say it was with Sam. And it was the most memorable date of my life, hands down.

For once I don't need to send you, gagging and nauseous, for the nearest paper bag due to a long-winded saccharine story explaining the songs inspiration. Just listen to the song and a lot of the story is there. I hope it paints a picture of Sam and I's special night out getting to know each other on own for the first time - my first night on the town in LA.

When I posted my first recording of this tune the response was "I like that new Jack Johnson-like tune." But although I consider that a compliment and have taken many things from him, such as his pick-free playing style, I wanted this song to have more of a "party" vibe. And I wanted it to reflect the fact that it was the night I first found out Sam spoke Spanish and had lived in Ecuador for over 2 years do volunteer work with the Peace Corp. I also feel that a Latin vibe just suits the idea of a night on the town.

Plus I wanted people, Sam & I included, to be able to Salsa to the song and it feel appropriate. I may not have mentioned that Sam and I have done some dancing lessons recently, focusing on Latin. Unfortunately they are on hold while I try to get my EP recordings finished. We'll get back to it before too long I hope.

This recording is just another pre-production recording. Everything is in the process of being recorded again, with the exception of the percussion which my friend in Melbourne, Arunchala Satgunasignham, has done such an AWESOME job of!

For lyrics go to this page - just make sure it opens in a separate tab and you listen to this version of the song, not the one on that page, which was my first recording, done immediately following writing the song.


First Night On The Town

No comments:

Post a Comment