Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Feeling a little Etsy...

I've been starting to pay more attention to Etsy since I saw my nomadically blogging friend Janice McLeod selling art in her Etsy shop. Which unfortunately shall remain empty while she wanders the world. She did some very cool art.

This has all gotten me thinking, as many things do, and I'm now considering the idea of selling some of my very best photos on Etsy. Now, I must add here that the presumption that someone might actually pay money for my photos (although this has happened in the past - when I was doing wedding photography) is not one I'm inclined towards very easily. But I've had so many people telling me how much they love the photography on my blog that I have started to wonder if maybe the very cream of the crop might actually be worthy of some pocket money.

What do you think?

Some posts containing photos of mine are here. But most of them I would never consider "payment worthy". I'll do a post soon with ones I think could be.

Macro Madness
Foto Fun With Flitting Fireflies
A Villa Called Love
Let's go back...all the way to Mother's Day
Wineries, Waves & Birthdays

Comments on my blog are quite rare, Janice being the main (and often only) contributor, but I encourage you to tell me what you REALLY think of this idea. I am actually open to any constructive comments. This could include anything from "when can I buy one" to "well, it might work if you do some nice mounting" to "I think most people are taking photos as good as yours themselves and wouldn't bother spending the money."

The latter seems most likely to me. And furthermore, having not blown up any of my digital photos to 8" x 10" before (only film photos, which I don't really do much of anymore) I'm a little concerned whether I'll be happy with the result.

There may be other applications for the photos, and this could be the subject of your comments also. The photo edits I do could even be part of this? Greeting cards? Post cards? Motivational photo/quote related gifts? Who knows. As you can see though, even the idea itself encourages creativity.

So apply some creativity yourself and share you ideas and thoughts. If you aren't into the public comments (i.e. you're uncomfortable telling me my idea sticks on a public forum) then e-mail me at;

myfighttowrite@gmail.com 

With all the above in mind I'm going to put some photos here that I edited on my iPhone, which is something I'm trying out at the moment, just for something that's different to my norm and that's very accessible at all times.

I figure this would be a stellar reason to get a really fancy new digital SLR such as I used in this post. Yeah, that's a great idea! I also broke my compact camera in Bali. So the reasons are stacking up. In truth I'd like to just get out my film SLR more often. I never thought I'd end up so content with digital. Although it has progressed incredibly since I was selling 2 Megapixel Nikon digital cameras for $2500 back in 2001, while also doing the now basically obsolete job of manual print-density selection on a film processing machine. It's on the wish list anyway...

The photos below are of a beautiful beach in Malibu called Dumé Beach which Sam and I went to a few weeks ago. I did the edits the other day. I hope you like!

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA
Those are surfers there, but they look pretty small when the photo is this size.

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA

Dumé Beach Malibu Los Angeles California CA USA
Gnarly surf brah!

2 comments:

  1. I hear what you're saying about photos and Etsy. Truth be told, most of my friends SAW my Etsy page, then paid me for paintings separately. No anonymous fans, but the checks cleared and now they make for nice pocket change as I linger here and there around the globe. I vote for Post And See. What if you become the next Ansel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and also, I gave paintings as gifts, too, which saved me birthday gift money. I figure that counts as a sale.

    ReplyDelete