Thursday, October 27, 2011

New York Is Here To Walk You Through

I was in New York from this time last week through til Saturday night playing gigs with some friend's from Sydney who's band are called "The Trip". 

Although I've been to New York 4 times before I've never actually stayed there for more than 2 nights so this was my longest stay on record, plus the first time I've actually gigged there, which made it an extra-memorable trip.


I was staying in the lower east side, right next door to the Hell's Angels' New York headquarters actually. I saw New Yorkers "Occupy Wall Street", occupy cabs constantly, occupy basements or little flats, or occupy no place in particular at all. 

Needless to say it was nice to be there feeling like I was following a real occupation that "dreams are made of", as is the spirit of New York it seems. In that way you'd say it was like LA, but that (along with the celebrities and paparazzi) would be the only way they are substantially similar. It felt very much like London to me, particularly as it was drizzling lightly and continuously when I arrived. 

The highlight though came courtesy of the band's friend (and now mine), Cori. She has an old 2-player tabletop arcade machine with Galaga, 1942, Pacman, Arkinoid, Millipede. Along with a signed, framed poster of "The Hoff" (David Hasselhoff. To clarify, it had a very personal note on it - she's actually friends with him). But then that's hard to beat. ;)

I met a lot of great people and learned a lot of great stuff about how the music industry is changing, to my advantage, which is the opposite of what many musicians think these days. I feel I'm lucky to be living in a time when I can have control over my music career's direction and my music itself. I don't have to rely on a record company to "give me my break" anymore. (Phew!)

Now for a poem about New York. I was going to record myself reciting it, as I often do, but this time I wanted to leave it to the individual to experience and interpret the way the rhyme lopes and flows, much as I've taken a different feeling away from New York every time I've been there. 

It's wonderful town...


New York Is Here To Walk You Through

From stars goodbyes til far past dark
Stark yellow parked cars bark and bite
All fighting to move, and in short bursts they do
But then there are some you see thumping and crashing
Unlike attractive fashion fans, but not so unlike the clash of
Cameras dancing for the chance to cash in on Kardashians
Endlessly flashing, splashing white with gasping passion

It’s a sight – there’s no question

Like the signs that line and strobely-light Time Square
Be it day or night, like the leaves of the concrete jungle
Don’t ever let those wet dreams stumble
Keep out of trouble, don’t walk down there
Those with looks don’t stare, no matter what strange style of hair
Or boot or hat, or thin or fat, more than a brush but don’t look back
They may be high on life, or wine, or ice,
Or lines, crack pipes or Scooby Snacks

It’s all right – best not question

Soon I have to leave but many here won’t be feeling warmer breeze
For years, maybe more because they’re sure, or maybe just stuck is all
but either way they’re here, and the mere desire to join this fray 
Must be enough to stay and soon adjust or you’ll return to dust 
like death, a mess with nothing left – like this guy I guess
Fighting what he says was the hand dealt down 


And down - And down


Reciting vows and saying how it wasn't always as it is now
He's gonna get back off the ground, with your help, absolutely any
He's only asking for a penny, but would take a pound - why would he turn it down?
A chance looks more deranged than spangled as you change the angle
That the glance you stole could show you in the moment squeezed 
After these tricky streets made you feel brand new
Thanks to the beats from the buds that hug your ears
And move your feet – it’s true – there’s nothing you can’t do
Come join the jungle turned into a giant zoo
New York is here to walk you through

No comments:

Post a Comment