Monday, April 25, 2011

Another "holiday" approaches...

All work and no play makes Jack (or Josh in this case) a dull boy. So as a result I have to work hard so I can play hard. With that in mind I'm off to Australia for a 6 week "holiday" in just 2 more weeks. I use inverted commas on holiday because I'll be working a lot while I'm in Australia. Basically, I'm always on holidays and always at work. That's my life. It's sort of good but sort of has it's downfalls. But certainly right now I'm loving my lifestyle, even if it means money is super tight.

One of the things I need to get finished before I leave here is my EP recording. I've still not finished all my pre-production work so this is going to be a crazy 2 weeks!

The last day of last month I posted pre-production recordings for Here For You Every Day (with percussion and bass) and Take A Holiday (with just guitar and vocals). When I say pre-production I'm basically saying that these recordings are minimal fuss, lower quality recordings focused on working out how I want to instrument and arrange the songs so that when I go into the studio to do the actual takes I'm confident about what I need to record and don't waste time not knowing parts, making them up on the spot, or record things just to discover later they don't work, or I would like to change them a little. Studio time isn't cheap so you need to be very efficient. You can expect the final recordings to sound a lot better than these.

Today I'm posting Take A Holiday with percussion and bass added. Still to be added to this, or possibly just the final recording if I have to cut pre-production short, will be steel drum, ukulele (standard and baritone), electric guitar, back-up vocals and maybe some Hammond organ. I'm not certain. But I better get certain pretty damn quickly! Time's ticking!

Give me your pre-production input. If you think something in particular would sound good on the track please tell me. Then you can say you did your bit for pre-production. Just don't expect a royalty... ;D

I have so much writing and creative stuff piling up from not posting every day as I'm supposed to so this week I'm going to be returning to my every day posting. Stay tuned....

Take A Holiday



Bring up either this page or this page for lyrics, the second of these being the original post of "Take A Holiday" if you would like an interesting comparison of how the song sounded immediately after it was written and how it sounds now.

No comments:

Post a Comment