Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brooke Shields and I went to a bar...

It was Sunday just gone. Trendy Brentwood Bar seemed like a good choice. She arrived 15 minutes later than me. She came and sat at the bar that I was at...

... ... ...

...having dinner and drinks with Sam.

So did you think I actually went to a bar with Brooke Shields? It was a nice try anyway. I was very glad to be there with Sam and I'm sure Brooke Shields was glad to be there with the guy she was with (a quick Google search showed him to be her husband, Chris Henchy.)

The point of my story is that this is Hollywood.

This is my biggest celebrity sighting so far. But it's not just about seeing celebs in LA. You may wind up the one being seen. On national TV even, just by casually heading down to a free gig. You can see my shaggy head and freshly-sculpted, idiotic looking smile in the crowd, just on the right of Jimmy Kimmel during the first 5 seconds of the below video, as he announces Brett Dennen as the guest performer on Monday night's filming. Also look for my huge nest of hair (and Sam's black beanie slightly hidden right in front of me - my back's to the camera) on the bottom left in front-on shots of the stage, such as at 2mins 57secs.



So is that Hollywood enough for you?

Well, as I mentioned I had some "teeth work" done this week. Not by Sam, as even though she's a qualified Doctor of Dentistry/Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, she doesn't have a set place of practice to do such procedures at the mates rates I require at the moment. So her friend Mike X-rayed my teeth, examined my teeth (no cavities and still no fillings despite not having been for a Dental checkup for 5 years) then he cleaned my teeth with some ultasonic, pain inflicting, annoyingly high-pitched-buzzing implement that spews out a lot of water, then he filed some small chipped spots flat in my front four top teeth, then he took impressions of my teeth to make whitening trays for future Californification sessions.


Cleaned, Filed Teeth.
No - I didn't mean for this to look like I'm holding  my severed head in my hand. Stare at it and it will freak you out! Even more than staring at a picture of me normally would...

It's not completely Hollywood though. Hollywood would expect me to get porcelain veneers.

Say this 10 times fast...

"How much food would a Hollywood chick chuck if a Hollywood chick would chuck food." I was going to finish that with "eat food" but it's probably un-PC enough as it is without making the joke more blatantly about people with Bulimia in Hollywood. From what I see on the endless massive billboards here though, it seems I'm only making social comment. And seriously, you can always see at least 3 of these billboards at once while on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood/West Hollywood.

Photobucket


And I haven't even yet mentioned that Sam worked on the, as of today, late Elizabeth Taylor's teeth last year. I'm presuming I can say that without breaking patient-doctor confidentiality now that she's dead. Right Sam? Hmmmmm...this might get edited out later...

So what's the moral of the story?

You're never too far from stardom in LA? True but not my point.

This world is going to choke on it's own saliva if it keeps drooling over fame, fortune and stick-figures the way it does? Well, it's quite possible.

I guess my point is this - how am I going to ever make a living from music without becoming a part of this fake-fest?

It seems to me that many try harder to create waves than create music? Worse still, it seems to work in many cases.

Well - I don't think I'm much good at making waves, but with a whole lot more work I just might be good at making music. So right now that's what I'm doing. I'll be gradually posting new, decent quality recordings of my recent songs over the next week or so. Release-quality recordings will hopefully be available in just a few months when I hope to release my first solo EP.

Here's a new guitar idea that captures the deflated, overwhelmed mood that I've had recently while contemplating the massive, exponential-curve-of-a-mountain that I must continue to try and climb if I'm ever going to make money from writing music.



...hey, did you ever notice the donate link in the top right...? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey hey! That was definitely your noggin' in the video. And Brooke Shields is a big sighting. That counts for a lot of points.

    And Bob Dylan never bought into the fake-fest. By the way, he lives on 4th in Santa Monica, north of Montana.

    ReplyDelete